Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Embracing The Bulldog In You

"We are SC State" isn't just a slogan, it is a way of life here on the campus of South Carolina State University. As it starts to get closer to homecoming and with the recent celebration of HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) Week, I started to think over why I chose to go to a HBCU and why I chose to stay at a HBCU. 

Here's a quick background: I just transferred here for my junior year and had previously had been to Savannah State University which is out of state for me considering Orangeburg, South Carolina is home. But it was wasn't until being in my Electronic Media Production II class, I decided to take the assignment I was given and use it to my advantage.

Thus was born my investigation into why people chose a HBCU and what's their favorite thing about being a bulldog.




Leah Miller
Senior
Criminal Justice/ Sociology 
Greenville, South Carolina

"I love the community atmosphere we have here. I love that we're a down to earth place. It kinda never changes and I like that about it. "




Chris Spell
Junior
Mass Communications/ Journalism
Orangeburg, South Carolina/ Charlotte, North Carolina

"The family aspect of it, the closeness of the campus."





Danielle McElroy
Sophomore
Business Management
Stone Mountain, Georgia

"The band. The Marching 101. We Reppin[g]."





Terell Williams
Junior
Music Education
Detroit, Michigan

"Really the band really because only HBCUs have these type of bands that we have here."






Brianna Whittaker
Junior
Criminal Justice
Beaufort, South Carolina

"There's always negative things put in the media about HBCUs ,but there's also a lot of positive people that have come from HBCUs."





Latisha Watson
Senior
Agribusiness
Brooklyn, New York

"I mean my heritage is black so why would I go to a PWI (Predominately White Institution) when I can be with my heritage."



Anyway you put it, the students here love their school and love HBCUs. So all of you only celebrating the drinking and partying of this coming homecoming, you need to do your history and actually celebrate what homecoming is really about. Show your Bulldog Pride.







South Carolina State University Homecoming
October 26th - November 1st
Zoovie Part II

No comments:

Post a Comment